Monday, September 29, 2014

Q: Is It True What They Say About Shallow Men? A: Yes. They're Still Everywhere!

Are they maddening? You bet. But it's nice to know that the title of my forthcoming book, Is It True What They Say About Black Men? (November 4, Amazon), is still relevant after eight years of hearing variations on that particular theme for great cities, even in Cape Town, a place where black men are not exactly a rarity. Sigh.

Apparently, gay online etiquette in Sydney hasn't changed much in the three years since I first did the online-dating thing there (via Manhunt, pre-Grindr). When I spent two days there two weeks ago, not one of the dozens of guys who talked to me on Grindr mentioned the color of my skin or the size of my thing. (My beloved Melbourne, sadly, has much more in common with Cape Town than a certain aura.) In fact, most of them seemed to be just as interested (or pretended to be) in why I was there (to interview for a job, which I've since been offered and accepted). I'm definitely looking forward to some more of that.

But for now, there's Cape Town, always good for some racially charged unintentional humor, like the routine (the first one below) offered this morning by an unnamed 22 year old who was cute enough to get what he wanted with resorting to such foolishness. Or perhaps that's exactly why he thought he could get away with it.





And so on and so on and so on...

No comments: