Wednesday, June 25, 2008

TREASURE "QUEST"


The other night, the Sony Channel here in Argentina finally aired the two-hour fourth season finale of Grey's Anatomy. I've got to say, as much as I enjoy the show, sometimes while watching, I long for the good old days when hospital dramas like Marcus Welby, M.D. left the cutting and bleeding to the imagination of viewers. In general, I find Grey's couplings and recouplings to be mostly uninspired, but hey, I'm such a sucker for a great soap-opera moment. And kudos to Justin Chambers for providing the best one near the two-hour mark when his Dr. Alex Karev (in my opinion, the best and most complex character on the show) broke down in the arms--not to mention, on the lips--of Katherine Heigl's Dr. Izzie Stevens.


My favorite moment of the episode, though, had nothing to do with plot. It came during the scene where the Chief went home to his wife, Adele, and basically demanded that she take him back. I had been slightly perplexed during the opening scene with McDreamy and Meredith in which Coldplay's "Death and All His Friends" (nearly as solid a song as the other title track from their new CD) was playing in the background because the band has spoken out in the past against cheapening their music by lending it to Madison Avenue. Yet, here they were, these iTunes pitchmen, making yet another no doubt financially lucrative loan to one of the biggest shows on TV. But I digress. Back to the Chief. While he stood there making his case, a song was playing in the background that I initially mistook for a new Amy Winehouse joint. Close, but no cigar. It was Bryn Christopher, an early twentysomething singer-songwriter from the U.K., who actually has toured with Winehouse as well as Mary J. Blige. His song, "The Quest," which bears a passing resemblance to "You Know I'm No Good," Winehouse's best musical moment to date, was released online on June 9 and surprisingly, has not set the U.K. singles chart afire. His album, My World, is set to drop in August. Remember, you heard it here first (or not): Despite his single's lack of chart progress so far, Bryn is going to be big.

2 comments:

St Loup said...

WOW! Loved your comments!!
Honey, you don't need any help at all. Your blog is as gorgeous as its owner.
No doubts about it, straight to "my blogs" list. You've got a new regular reader.
LOL

Unknown said...

I kind of hate this show. Its only redeeming force is Christina Oh, I think. Determined, ambitious women are so often demonized or highly sexualized (Melrose's Amanda, anyone?). They've managed to avoid that — but I really think it's more Christina Oh's performance than anything.