Wednesday, January 6, 2010

THE BIGGEST SORE LOSER?

Poor Jennifer Lopez.

Not only are both her music and acting careers in need of major surgery, but apparently, she's as Oscar obsessed as I am. (Sorry, here I go again!) The only difference being that I don't think I deserve one.

Here are the foot-in-mouth comments she made in an interview in the new issue of Latina magazine.

“I feel like I had that [Oscar-worthy role] in El Cantante, but I don’t even think the Academy members saw it. I feel like it’s their responsibility to do that, to see everything that’s out there, everything that could be great. Well, it is a little bit frustrating. It was funny; when the Oscars were on, I had just given birth on the 22nd, and the Oscars, I think, were a day or two later.

"I was sitting there with my twins — I couldn’t have been happier — but I was like, ‘How dope would it have been if I would’ve won the Oscar and been here in my hospital bed accepting the award? Thank you so much! I just want to thank the Academy!’ But we joked about it. It’s all good."

Poor J. Lo!

Let's enlighten her, shall we? First of all, the movies that generally get nominated for and win Oscars do very little business at the box office before they are nominated. Yes, some films will always be overlooked, but it's hard to believe that a worthy performance by someone as famous as Jennifer Lopez would be. If Mickey Rourke, a decade-plus-long joke before 2008's The Wrestler made him credible again, can get in the running, anyone can.

And now, consider this: The 2007 film which contained Jennifer's self-perceived Oscar-caliber performance made $7.5 million in the U.S. before going on to become a modest hit on DVD, making $16.6 million after it's October 30 release -- just in time for Oscar season. So much for being totally under the radar.

Not to kick an egomaniacal actress when she's already down, but here are some of the current grosses (as of yesterday) of a few 2010 sure things come Oscar nomination day.

An Education: $7.9 million
A Single Man: $1.7 million
Crazy Heart: $708,188
The Messenger: $654,374

I love that Jennifer is so Oscar aware, but a few words of advice: Oscar winners do not use words like "dope" in interviews. And leave the Oscar obsession to Julianne Moore. She's overdue, and she actually deserves one.

No comments: