Saturday, June 20, 2009

FOOLED BY A FEELING?

I'm prepared to eat my words -- with a little humble pie on the side. Para llevar! To go, please!

One hour before I wrote the post "An 'Indecent' Proposal" a few days ago, I'd never even heard of The Proposal, the new Sandra Bullock/Ryan Reynolds romantic comedy, which opens today. Since then, I can't seem to escape it. It's all over the internet, and many of the stories about it don't fail to mention Ryan's rather impressive six pack. Hey, if it gets people into theaters. The reviews are coming in, too, and they aren't terrible. The Chicago Sun-Times' Roger Ebert calls it "cheerfully done," without mentioning Ryan's abs, while the Washington Post deems it "as predictable and comforting as a Happy Meal" (like Ryan's abs?). Will it break $20 million this opening weekend? My money's on it (though I won't be actually spending money on it -- it's not out in BA yet). And if it knocks Kate Hudson (last seen in Bride Wars -- see the connection?) off her rom-com high horse in the process, more power to it!

No comments: