Wednesday, February 13, 2013

More Words of Wisdom from Luke Spencer on "General Hospital"

"The worst possible thing is to try to recapture the past. It poisons the present, and it twists your memories so that you can't even recognize them anymore. Life moves in one direction... forward. I pride myself on appreciating my past and then letting it go, and moving on."

So said Luke Spencer (Athony Geary) to Anna Devane (Finola Hughes) on the April 12 episode of General Hospital, just before she broke up with him (hopefully) for good. Luke's words (inspired by his distant past with Laura, his one true love, not his recent past with Anna) resonates particularly powerfully with me today as I myself have been in the ongoing process of trying to let go of a major piece of my past, only for it to continuously grab me back when I least expect it to and suck me more tightly into its death grip.

But if at first you don't succeed...

It's always good to hear someone -- even a fictional soap-opera character -- say exactly what you need to hear. Whether I listen, learn and live by his words is another story altogether.

No comments: