Tuesday, October 7, 2014

It's All About Me: 15 Songs By Artists Who Namecheck Themselves

You're nobody until your name has made it into a song -- even if it's one of your own! After all, if you're going to name-drop anyone, it might as well be you. Rappers (and super-producer Rodney Jerkins) refer to themselves all the time, but apparently, people who sing are a more modest bunch, less likely to call their own name. That didn't stop me from finding 15 who did it anyway.

"My Home's in Alabama" Alabama (1980)
Self-referential lyric: "My home's in Alabama, southern born and southern bred"


"In a Big Country" Big Country (1983)
Self-referential lyric: "In a big country, dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside"


"We Are the Jonzun Crew" The Jonzun Crew (1983)
Self-referential lyric: "Who are we? The Jonzun Crew!"


"Freak-A-zoid" Midnight Star (1983)
Self-referential lyric: "We are Midnight Star. We're gonna show you how to do it, yes, we are"


"Bruce" Rick Springfield (1984)
Self-referential lyric: "My name is Rick, I'm gonna stick it to you, babe"


"Everybody Have Fun Tonight" Wang Chung (1986)
Self-referential lyric: Everybody wang chung tonight"


"Nasty" Janet Jackson (1986)
Self-referential lyric: "No, my first name ain't baby. It's Janet. Miss Jackson, if you're nasty"


"Love Overboard" Gladys Knight and the Pips (1987)
Self-referential lyric: They tell me, Gladys, you know you love too hard"


"Living in a Box" Living in a Box (1987)
Self-referential lyric: "Am I living in a box? Am I living in a cardboard box?"


"Joyride" Roxette (1991)
Self-referential lyric: "Roxette!"


"My Name Is Prince" Prince (1992)
Self-referential lyric: "My name is Prince, and I am funky"



"Come When You Call" Oleta Adams (1993)
Self-referential lyric: "Say 'Oleta, baby. Well, I need you, baby'"


"Robyn Is Here" Robyn (1997)
Self-referential lyric: "Robyn is here. Gotta let you know"


"Fergalicious" Fergie (2006)
Self-referential lyric: "I'm the F to the E, R, G, the I, the E"


"S.A.M.S.P.A.R.R.O." Sam Sparro (2008)
Self-referential lyric: "My name is S.A.M.S.P.A. double R.O. jazam"

No comments: