Wednesday, July 8, 2009

HOLLYWOOD IS RUNNING OUT OF FRESH IDEAS: EXHIBIT Z



And I'm not just talking about recycled movie-poster designs and generic, interchangeable film titles. How many more sugary boy meets girl, boy hates girl (and vice versa), boy grows on girl (and vice versa) retreads can we digest before we're all barfing, totally sour on romance -- or at least color-by-numbers romantic comedies?

All that said, after finally watching the Grey's Anatomy finale, in which her character apparently flatlined (look for a magical resurrection in next season's premiere -- just my opinion), and falling for her red-hot pose on the above poster, my love affair with Katherine Heigl has officially begun. I never really expected that she would be the breakout Grey star -- partly because I hate her character, Izzie Stevens (too too precious), but also because she initially received far less fanfare than some of her costars. Then came her surprise Emmy win and box-office hits like Knocked Up and 27 Dresses. Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo must be green with envy.

I probably won't be able to resist a trip to the multiplex when her new romantic comedy hits BA (it's out in the U.S. in two weeks). And that's the ugly truth.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to say, I despise Katherine Heigl. I used to like her -- until she made a big stink out of withdrawing her name from Emmy consideration and slamming the Gray's writers for "not giving her a quality storyline." She looked like a selfish, self-important brat. And the thing is, in Knocked Up, ANYONE could have played that role. The thing about Judd Apatow films is that generally, the female lead is an interchangable pretty girl (Elizabeth Banks is the one exception -- she has real comedic chops). Any pretty young thing could have played that role, I think. She just annoys me to no end. Plus, I swear she has three front teeth.

Jeremy Helligar said...

I used to hate her for the very same reasons, but it's amazing what playing a cancer patient can do. Suddenly, I'm rooting for the character AND the actress. Call me crazy!

Unknown said...

I think I might be officially done with Gray's ... Ellen Pompeo's pinched face + Heigl = meh.