Friday, April 13, 2012

Minor Hits from the '80s That Deserved More Love

Part 1. "You Are in My System" The System

Don't you hate it when one-hit wonders become semi-famous (for 15 minutes or less) for the wrong song? Me, too. Which is why, as much as I appreciate the strong craftsmanship of the System's 1987 No. 4 hit "Don't Disturb This Groove," I always kind of resented it, too (the song, not the craftsmanship). The duo had actually released its greatest hit five years earlier, when "You Are in My System" limped to No. 64 on Billboard's Hot 100. (Perhaps as a consolation prize, it made it to No. 10 on the R&B list).

Alas, hit status was not to be for that particular song. Not even Robert Palmer, who turned "I Didn't Mean to Turn You On," Cherelle's minor 1984 hit, into a No. 2 pop smash in 1986, could make "You Are in My System" soar less than a year after the System failed. He only took it to No. 78. His version might actually be slightly better than the System's, but it would be three more years before he made love-dependency cool in pop with "Addicted to Love." Once again, mainstream pop's loss.



4 Other Great Songs About Addictive Love That Aren't Roxy Music's "Love Is the Drug" 

The '80s: "You Are My Heroin" Boy George (1989)


The '90s: "Addictive Love" Bebe & Cece Winans (1991)


The '00s: "Like a Drug" Kylie Minogue (2007)


The '10s: "I'm Addicted" Madonna (2012)

No comments: