Wednesday, September 5, 2012

So Hank Williams Jr. Hates Obama and Gays? ZZZ...

"We’ve got a Muslim for a President who hates cowboys, hates cowgirls, hates fishing, hates farming, loves gays, and we hate him." -- Hank Williams Jr., in concert September 2 in Fort Worth, Texas.

I quit. I am exhausted from going off the rails every time another celebrity rears his or her ugly head with yet another homophobic political party-line rant. Melissa Reeves and Chick-fil-A have worn me out.

Yawn.

I grew up listening to Hank Williams Jr., and you know what? He'll remain in regular rotation in my iPod because despite his extreme stupidity, I still enjoy his songs. They're mindless, stupid fun, sort of like the guy who sings them. Every time I hum along to "Texas Woman" or "Dixie on My Mind" while doing my bench presses, I'll try to remember that Hank Jr. is actually doing us gays a favor with his nonsensical ramblings by showing the world what's going on in the heads of homophobes: nothing.

See, this is what happens to your brain when you fill it with such drivel. I mean, this is the same guy who already compared Obama to Adolph Hitler. He's like an obstinate ostrich with his head stuck in the sand, clearly not the world's greatest thinker.

Or maybe this is all some sort of comedy routine, and that thunderous applause that followed his onstage commentary in Fort Worth was coming from concertgoers who were in on the joke. Even if he wasn't trying to be funny, the joke angle is indisputable: Hank Jr., one of the most successful country acts of the late '70s and early '80s, has become little more than an election-year joke, a cartoon caricature of the hee-hawing good old boy.

"I'm a country plowboy, not an urban cowboy
And I dont ride bulls, but I have fought some men
Drive a pickup truck, trust in God and luck
And I live to love Texas women"

So sang Hank Jr. on his 1981 No. 1 country single. Good to see he's evolved 31 years on.


Every time another extremist right-wing nut (yeah, I'm looking at you, Ted Nugent!) comes out spouting gibberish rhetoric, their ignorance and lack of education shows. Furthermore, it's further proof of just how shallow and meaningless the entire redneck platform is. Cowboys and cowgirls and fishing and farming are the things they hold sacred? Come on.

I suppose we all should be thankful that he didn't say anything about trucks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You wouldn’t make a pimple on Hank Jr’s ass

Anonymous said...

I agree with Hank

Anonymous said...

Spoken like a true queer