Friday, October 9, 2009

TO THE LEFT, TO THE LEFT

In a post a few weeks ago, I considered the possibility of going backwards in order to move forward, or, as a very good Argentine friend of mine puts it, dipping into the recycling bin. After giving it several weeks of considerable thought (and being revisited by one dirty recyclable too many), I've decided against it. Dipping into the recycling bin is basically poking around in trash, digging in the dirt. Vanessa Huxtable was right: "The ship that sails backwards never reaches the shore." Or was it "The ship that sails west never sees the sunrise."

Whatever. They're both true.

Forward. Onward. Upward.

2 comments:

Penny C said...

I am sooo on the same page on this one...dipping into the past is always tempting, but rarely has a different turn out the second time around.

Jeremy Helligar said...

As my good friend Deirdre once said, "The road by my house is a one-way street." When you're right, you're right.