Wednesday, October 14, 2009

BUGS BUGS

How is it possible that I never saw the classic groundbreaking video for Matthew Sweet's "Time Capsule" until yesterday, when my recently overpowering Sweet tooth led me to it on YouTube? I was a huge fan of Matthew Sweet in the early '90s, but my love affair with his music, particularly the albums Girlfriend and Altered Beast (which features my current theme song and the inspiration for my MSN "nick," "Dinosaur Act") happened to fall within those tricky college and post-university years of 1987 to 1995, when I had neither cable nor a television, so my MTV viewing was sporadic at most. Excellent clip, though.

Tangent alert: Oh, to meet a guy whose music taste falls outside of the oh-so-predictable confines of pop and electronica! There was one guy who opened his heart to Muse, but I suspect that his fandom had more to do with the band's association with the Twilight film series (one of his myriad annoyingly conventional obsessions) than anything else. I'll be looking very closely at the next one's iPod library.

Getting back on track: Like the Lloyd Coles and Joe Henrys and Michael Penns and Grant Lee Buffalos of the '90s, Matthew never really got the credit or success that he deserved. Don't you hate it when that happens?

No comments: