Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Moment of Truth from Kim Kardashian?

I've never watched an episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians, and you can't make me.

So please, pardon my ignorance when it comes to all things Kim Kardashian. Perhaps this isn't the first time she's exhibited signs of intelligent life. Like so many other citizens of Planet Earth, I'm not quite sure why she's famous, yet I feel like I know way too many details about her personal life -- which is uncanny since I don't believe I've ever read an entire online or magazine article about her.

The closest I came was today when I clicked on a Facebook link to my former Us Weekly boss Bonnie Fuller's Hollywood Life website. The title of the story: "Kim Kardashian Admits: I Married For Love, But Shouldn't Have Tied The Knot!" Ah, celebrity contrition! I'm always up for a little bit of that.

The first thing I learned was that Kim has a personal blog. Who knew? But it makes sense. If I have one, why not someone with millions of devotees who are in love with the girl for no particular reason other than that she's there to love? (And why, I ask, wasn't that love, misguided as it might be, enough for our Kim?)

The second thing I learned: Love or hate her, Kim might not be such a dummy, after all. I don't know if the words were hers, if she had a bit of assistance, or if the entire thing was crafted by an entire publicity team working overtime, but not only were her comments grammatical and reasonably punctuated (though Kim, or her literary team, needs to brush up on the proper use -- or rather, improper non-use -- of commas) and somewhat revealing, but she made a few good points, too.

I'm not saying that I'm buying or not buying the reports of ulterior motives behind the wedding itself and/or the split. I myself just recently wondered if she hitched herself to Kris Humphries merely because of the coincidentally perfectly unlikely spelling of his first name. (Whoever heard of a boy named Kris with a K?) Getting married for the sake of publicity seems like a lot of effort for someone who gets tons of publicity just for stepping out of a car in butt-enhancing attire.

But if people would accuse Beyonce of faking a baby bump for the sake of album sales, why not take digs at Kim, too? She's a far easier target. And at least Beyonce and Jay-Z have the good sense to conduct most of their private life far from the prying eyes of the media. Both Kim's wedding and the coverage of it were beyond ridiculous, and if you read between her lines, Kim seems to realize it, too.

Though I'm struggling to understand why she's apologizing for a silly wedding that hurt her more than anyone else, I appreciate her owning the folly of her ways. For the first time ever, I'm feeling generous toward Kim. Maybe it was the part where she called herself a "hopeless romantic." Girl, I've been there. And although I've never taken my hopeless romanticism quite so far, I can understand how someone can get so caught up in the whirlwind of romance that they might say, "I do," for all the wrong reasons or to all the wrong people. (Yes, I'm looking at you, J. Lo.)

"I felt like I was on a fast roller coaster and couldn’t get off when now I know I probably should have. I got caught up with the hoopla and the filming of the TV show that when I probably should have ended my relationship, I didn’t know how to and didn’t want to disappoint a lot of people."

I know that feeling all too well. You've fallen in love -- or think you have -- and you've built it up so much in your own mind and in the minds of your friends, that when you realize that it's not what you thought it was, you feel like it's too late to back track and take everything back. Fortunately for me, I've never had to deal with the media trailing my every move, leading me to dive deeper into a bad romance for the sake of a) continued coverage, b) overactive romantic impulses, and/or c) saving face.

But if I know Kim (and I don't), she's not crying over spilt milk or a two-month marriage that couldn't even make it to December. She'll be back in love by Monday or thereabout -- with a new guy or, if that other Hollywood Life headline is true, a former flame -- because stars are just like us, only they rebound more quickly. I only hope that next time Kim falls she's wise enough to do it quietly.

No comments: