Wednesday, September 16, 2009

CITY OF HOPE

Today is my birthday. Well, not my actual birthday, but the third anniversary of my rebirth. On September 16, 2006, I arrived in Buenos Aires. It was actually my fifth trip to the city, but this time I meant to stay. The city seemed a lot different then. I'm not sure if that's because the city has changed, or I have changed, or familiarity has just made everything seem more, well, familiar.

Sometimes I wish I could experience that feeling of newness again, like the entire world is opening up to me and anything is possible. Maybe I'm just past that age of wide-eyed innocence. I'm older, wiser and not quite the life of the party that I was back then. I'd probably need to settle some place new in order to recapture that old feeling. But despite moments of wistfulness and restlessness, I so far have no plans to give in to my wanderlust.

To be honest, when I landed in BA that fifth time, I intended to stay for at least a year, but I really didn't expect to actually make it my home. I always thought that at some point something would sweep me away. Maybe at some point something will. But it hasn't happened yet.

No comments: