Saturday, October 25, 2008

NAME THAT TUNE OR CONFUSION ON THE DANCEFLOOR


Is it me, or does "Womanizer," Britney Spears' current electro-pop single, bear more than a passing resemblance to "Keeps Gettin' Better," Christina Aguilera's current electro-pop single? I never realized it until tonight. I went to a disco in Montevideo, Uruguay, and three or four songs after I arrived (and following Ida Corr Vs. Fedde LeGrand's "Let Me Think About It" and a particularly thumping mix of Rihanna's "Don't Stop The Music"), the crowd began to squeal in delight at the DJ's selection.

Ooh, I thought to myself. The new Christina!

Then that unmistakeable croak kicked in, and I knew I was listening to "Womanizer." Musically, it sounded a lot better cranked up a trillion decibels, but there's no saving that inane chorus. Shortly afterwards, I ventured downstairs. After several tepidly received tracks, a familiar electro-pop beat got the dancefloor crowd pumping.

Britney? Again?

Uh uh. This time it really was the new Christina. Same beat, better song.

No comments: