In ascending (top to bottom) order of drop-dead accuracy...
10. "Barbarism Begins At Home" The Smiths
Nature or nurture? I'm giving nurture the slightest edge, because that's the one we can control.
9. "You Can't Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want)" Joe Jackson
It sure helps if you're not really looking for it -- or if you don't really want it.
8. "Ain't No California" Mel Tillis
And while you're busy getting, remember, the perfect life, like the American dream, is just that: a dream.
7. "Enjoy The Silence" Depeche Mode
Words are useless. Especially sentences.
6. "Pretty Girls Make Graves" The Smiths
As do pretty boys. Deadly indeed.
5. "Love Is Stronger Than Pride" Sade
If it's really love.
4. "What's Love Got To Do With It?" Tina Turner
What's love but a second-hand emotion?
3. "Easy Come, Easy Go" George Strait
Cynical as hell, but apparently, true.
2. "Everybody Plays The Fool" Aaron Neville
Been there, done that.
1. "I'm So Stupid" Madonna
To paraphrase Oprah Winfrey (during her 1993 TV interview with Michael Jackson), What do we know for sure?