Wednesday, August 26, 2009

THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO, "HUH?": TUESDAY EDITION

Just a few days ago, a burning question popped into my head: Whatever happened to VH1 Divas? Either I'm totally out of the loop, or the last one, featuring Patti LaBelle, Jessica Simpson, Deborah Harry, and some other "divas" I can't quite recall at the moment, was about five years ago. Then this afternoon, I read a report that Paula Abdul's first post-American Idol gig will be hosting this year's VH1 Divas, airing September 17. (What, no performance?) Talk about tumbling a few rungs on the Hollywood food chain -- and not just Paula! In past years, Divas has lured such music A-listers as Aretha Franklin, Cher, Celine Dion, Shania Twain, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Tina Turner and Elton John. This year's line up: Adele, Kelly Clarkson, Jordin Sparks, Leona Lewis and Miley Cyrus. Talented hitmakers, yes. But hardly legendary -- or anywhere near true diva material. Pardon me while I yawn.

Coincidence No. 2: This morning I had an idea for a great post called "And We Said It Would Never Last," about celeb marriages that have gone way past their once-presumed expiration dates. Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas were going to top my list. (The glamour shot above is intended to be a gentle reminder that Melanie used to be A-list -- for a few short years in the late '80s/early '90s -- and she cleaned up really well.) Now comes word via People magazine that Melanie has checked into rehab in order to save her marriage to Antonio. This is not a good sign, folks. Shouldn't she be checking into rehab first and foremost to save her own hide, not for anyone else, and certainly not to save her marriage? I think I'll hold off on that solid-celeb-unions post for now.

No comments: